Code of Ethics
The Alberta Tree hound Association adopted the following Code of Ethics in 2005.
Recognizing my responsibility as a houndsmen, I pledge:
- To conduct myself in the field so as to make a positive contribution to hound hunting and the wildlife I hunt.
- To understand and strictly observe the Alberta Wildlife Act and regulation when hunting with my hounds.
- To practice and promote ethical hunting, in the spirit of “fair chase” in order to demonstrate my abiding respect for the animals I hunt.
- To support and actively participate in organizations promoting hounds and hound hunting so that future generations can enjoy the opportunity to train and hunt with coonhounds.
- To understand and promote sound breeding practices in order to maintain or improve upon the recognized breed standard(s) for coonhounds.
- To show consideration and respect for others by seeking permission to access private property or lease lands.
- To always be aware that there are individuals and groups trying to eliminate hound hunting and that my actions must demonstrate respect for: the animals I hunt, other recreational users and the general public.